Saturday, June 4, 2011

OH HEY IT'S AN EXCERPT.

So, if you know me personally you'll probably know that I participated in NaNoWriMo back in November and while I didn't reach the goal of 50,000 words, I did write my longest work ever at around 30,000 words. Basically the book is about a girl who has always, always written stories and suddenly finds herself writing this big bad thing she calls Chuck back into existence to take over the world and cause bad things to happen. And now I'm looking over the entire thing for the first time since I guess probably February and I've looked over this nightmare scene quite a bit because I want it to sort of be...y'know, good. and I'm unsure of how to know if it's really good or not. So I thought HEY LET'S ASK THE PEOPLE. And by people I mean the people that may or may not read Authorly sometimes if I post it on Facebook.

AND SO HERE'S MY EXCERPT.

(By the by, Becky's the ghost girl that gave herself to the baddy to save a friend, blah blah, Henry is Sierra's ((the main character)) first friend in foheva. And by foheva I mean middle school.)

---

I was in my room, but it was stretched to the size of a football field. Piles of papers and books were stacked left and right, towering high above me. I was running through the maze of poorly built skyscrapers, trying to find a way out. All around me there was fire burning everything in sight. What’s going on? I thought in a panic.


I found my parents and cried out. They were screaming and I could see their skin just melting off their bodies in the most grotesque way possible. Becky ran through, her clothes aflame. Behind her was the faerie version of Chuck, its claw-like hands were on fire. It reached out for her menacingly as it flew after her, a crazy smile on its usually inspecting face.


I ran screaming from them, trying to escape both Chuck and the sight of my parents dying. Tripping over burning books and papers, I ran and ran until in one corner I found Henry. He was curled up in a tight ball, rocking back and forth rapidly with his back to me. I went over to him, tears streaming down my cheeks. I didn’t want him to be on fire. I mean, I cared about the others, too, but I really didn’t want him to be hurt. He was most important. As terrible as it might have sounded, he was more important than my parents. He was my best friend. The first friend I’d had in ages. I couldn’t lose him. Not now!


I reached out to him, my hand shaking. I was scared he was going to be hurt and I would just make it worse. Please be okay, I thought, crying a little harder, just please, be okay. I touched his shoulder and he turned his head to look at me. I leapt back and raised my hands to my mouth, letting loose a blood curdling scream. His eyes were just balls of great orange fire, leaping out of his head to bite at my hand.


“Help me, Sierra,” Henry said pitifully. “Help me.”


I recoiled from him, the tears coming in even greater streams now. What was I supposed to do? How could I stop this? Henry moaned at my feet, reaching out for the help he sought.


Why would you stop it? A sly voice purred in my head. You started it, Sierra. This is all your doing.


I jerked back a few more steps. What was that voice? And what did it mean; I was the cause of this? I looked down at my hands and screamed. They were on fire like everything else, but I didn’t feel the burn of the flames on my fingers like Becky and my parents and Henry did. I screamed and screamed and screamed myself hoarse until the fiery skeletons of my parents, Becky, and Henry were surrounding me. I tried to scream more, but my throat was torn to ribbons. I couldn’t scream anymore. I couldn’t! Before I could do anything to try and stop them, the skeletons had engulfed me and I was burning for real now, the flames licking my body with a full intent of killing me. I sobbed silently as I burned and burned…

No comments:

Post a Comment